We’ve got a good one for you this week, as we head to the great state of Colorado to talk to the Director of Football Operations for the University of Colorado, Bryan McGinnis. McGinnis is in year number five with the Buffaloes after serving in the same capacity for Colorado head coach Mike McIntyre at San Jose State University.
In this episode Bryan talks about growing up in Santa Cruz, California, learning to love the game of football – in part – because of the legendary Bill Walsh, getting his start outside of pads with his (high school) alma mater, interning with the San Francisco 49ers, moving through coaching and operations at San Jose State, sharing among his operations peers, and teaching moments on his job (great story about a player using his Pell Grant money for a tatoo). Bryan also helps us kick off a new segment, informally called Your Merit Badge Moment, as he tells us a tricky flight situation from San Jose to the Naval Academy.
Bryan’s app and website recommendations:
- Teamworks – operations platform for athletic teams and organizations
- Notability – Easy note-taking & annotation for the iPad and iPhone
Bryan’s resource recommendations:
- Finding the Winning Edge (book) by Bill Walsh
- Extreme Ownership (book) by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin
- AFCA – American Football Coaches Association
Bryan’s Tip of the Day:
- Be your own problem solver.
photo credit: Colorado Athletics
Intro Music: Surf Shimmy Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License